Friday, August 11, 2023

Muddy Waters Comes Home Details

Right now the forecast looks very positive, but if there are any changes due to weather I will post here in the morning.

The route has been altered a bit due to the resurfacing of Henderson. We will be on Henderson twice for short periods. The south end is supposed to be paved by tomorrow, the north (which we'll be on for about 400m) won't be, but I'm told is rideable.

To complete 162km the route is essentially a ~42km early loop before the Cooks Creek ride (no Clandeboye, but an extra loop of BHP). Because it's all familiar territory I've condensed the route guide which is here.

Because it's all familiar territory, it's an excellent opportunity to test oneself with an extended distance confidently. And if 162 km is a little too much there are opportunities to cut things shorter by cutting out Cooks Creek and/or the extra loop at BHP for example.

There are two opportunities to take on water/supplies: the first at just over 40k on returning to the Legion (as there will be a large group potentially trying to get into the washroom is a short amount of time I recommend having something ready to go in your car), the second at about 120k at the East Beach.

The BBQ follows (and the restaurant usually stops selling food at 2pm) so I would keep in mind that minimising stops would be prudent. Although one could ride it solo I would highly suggest communicating with others ahead of time or during the easier first loop to formulate a plan and agree to work together. Given the distance a larger group working together will ultimately be faster overall.

Last week we had a record number of flats. Hopefully we got that all out of our system, but it goes without saying: make sure your bike is in good working order and that you're prepared to change a flat (or two).

The past two occasions we've ridden the first loop as a large group at an overall average of 35kph. It's been a steady pace in the past, but note that's an average and could vary up or down depending on wind. It is perfectly fine for riders who are not as strong to save energy and sit at the back or to take shorter pulls.  When at the front though they should maintain the pace. After returning to the Legion riders might join the FOG ride at normal FOG pace or go in their own groups.

I can't make any guarantees, but in previous years for the second loop there have been essentially two groups, one that has averaged 38-40 kph and a second that I imagine averaged 34-35ish. The best plan for most groups would be to maintain a steady pace i.e. no sprints.

It will be up to individual groups whether they approach this in a more Grand Fondo style, i.e. no stops except for water or whether they wish to treat it as a typical FOG ride just with an extra loop beforehand.

We leave at 0730.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

No comments: