Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May 2 Recap

Good On Ya Alex!
Wow. While we were fighting the wind, Alex Dowsett was setting an new hour record of 52.937 kilometres on Saturday. These are track bikes with fixed gears. There is no opportunity to rest, no ability to coast for a second, no easier gear to shift to for a moments break.

There are so many little things that can go wrong and it takes a supreme amount of confidence to ride at this level. Bradley Wiggins is already saying he could break the record now and is aiming for 55km. In somewhat un-wigginesque fashion he's careful to walk the line between confidence and arrogance "It sounds a bit horrible to say but I could break the record tomorrow. But I don’t just want to break it, I want to put it right up there, as far out of reach as I can...


Ride Recap
30 riders. 19C and wind south at 23 to start, though the wind felt quite a bit cooler to start. 28C and wind south at 33 to finish.
The extra fast group was an unqualified success and rode the Cook's Creek Loop. The remainder elected to ride as one group. I'm a little worried about that as the idea was to offer more options to riders, not make it harder for those in the inbetween group. But, as long as everyone had a great ride, that's awesome.

No comments: